Search This Blog

Thursday, 5 February 2015

What is music?

Since I haven't blogged in a while, I've decided to do an extra long post this time.

What is Music?
"People think music is just a group of musical notes and words made to sound nice, but it's so much more. People pour their thoughts, their feelings, their deepest fears and hopes into music. Music can tell a story, it can be meaningless or so deep it requires hours of explanation to understand.

Rap is about speaking out against establishment. It can teach a lesson or promote an ideology. Through music people express themselves in a way unique to anything else. Some music can be made to make a philosophical statement. Musicians are some of the most important and influential people in the world. Think about it: children don't read news, they listen to music! This makes it a very effective means of communication.

Furthermore, it can help people through tough times. Music inspires masses of people every day. Music can cheer people up or make them think. It is also a form of recreation. It makes you forget about your day and lets you become part of the beat, the rhythm, the lyrics, the emotion and the melody. It also gives you an inside look at the singer's emotions.

Music is a wonderful and interesting thing. Life would be so much duller without it. "
 (Just something I wrote while sitting in bed at night)

After reading this, you must be thinking: "How does this have ANYTHING to do with technology?"
Now it does, and I'll tell you why.

Music was revolutionized by the Ipod and mp3 player (Zoon, not so much...) . Also, the internet has become one of the most used mediums for information and data transfer and storage. Furthermore, you can now stream music to several different devices at once! Now you can store hundreds of songs on your laptop! The ratio of size to storage of a laptop vs a record is huge! Laptops storage is much denser, allowing you to have space for your most liked songs, and arbitrary other songs you downloaded to listen to once, without having to keep stacks and stacks of records.

Though I must say, I don't care for the new Ipod Nanos, ect. I'm fine with a 2007-bought Ipod mini!